An English ebonised table clock with musical mechanism and automaton, Daye Barker London, circa 1760.
Daye Barker (London - )
An English ebonised wood brass mounted table clock with musical mechanism and automaton, Daye Barker London, circa 1760.
Private Dutch collection
The 20-cm brass arched dial has an engraved silvered chapter ring with Roman numerals and rococo half hour marks. The matted centre and adorned with abundant engraving of a basket with scrolling plumes. There are also apertures for mock pendulum and date indication. On a recessed engraved silvered plaque is the signature Daye Barker Royal Exchange London. In the upper corners above the chapter ring are two subsidiaries, one for strike/silent, the other for choice melody. Below there are brass rococo spandrels. To the right of numeral III is a lever for play/not play (of the melody). In the arch of the dial is a polychrome painted landscape with a house and a windmill. The blades of the windmill are connected to the striking work. In the house there are apertures for a door and a window in which two figures appear and disappear when the musical mechanism is playing. The foliate pierced hands are made of blued steel.
The well made movement has three spring barrels in combination with fusees and has a duration of eight days. It is being regulated by verge escapement with a fixed pendulum. The clock strikes Dutch half hour striking on two alternating bell by means of rack striking and makes the blades of the windmill turning. It also plays one of four melodies on eleven bells while activating the window/door automaton. The backplate is beautifully engraved with foliate scrolls around a cartouche in which the signature Daye Barker Royal Exchange London is engraved.
The ebonised case has a true bell top surmounted by a flower basket finial and four pine apple corner finials. It is throughout adourned with brass banding. To the front and back are glazed doors with foliate pierced top corner spandrels. On the canted corners are brass herm-and-trailng-flower mounts. To the sides are brass handles above foliate pierced frets. The brass bound plinth with ebonised mouldings is raised on four cast rococo feet with female masks.